How to accomplish a dream according to John Maxwell:
1) Mental preparation – read and study in areas of your dream. This would be combination of the corporate background that I have and learning more about how a charity operates to understand their current construct and what could be done just a little differently.
2) Experiential preparation – engage in areas related to the dream. I have this in the corporate world to a great extent. but not in Reality TV which is also related to my dream.
3) Visual preparation – create the vision board with pictures and things that show my dream as reality and will inspire me
4) Hero preparation – read about and try to meet people you admire and who inspire you. I am interpreting this to be in the direction of getting in touch with really successful charities and picking their brains as to what works, where they made mistakes, what they wish they had done differently.
5) Physical preparation – get your body into optimal shape to pursue your dream. You all know what I have been doing – new look, released some weight and getting ready for a big push to release more.
What this really says is that following your dream encompasses your life. You can’t leave it to chance. It is not something that is a 9 – 5 job. It is your life. “A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible”. And as Gandhi says “If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”